News: Non-profit organization Germanwatch released the Global Climate Risk 2020 report at UNFCC CoP 25 in Madrid, Spain.
About Global Climate Risk Index:
- The Global Climate Risk Index (CRI) developed by Germanwatch analyses quantified impacts of extreme weather events.
- It analyses the impact both in terms of fatalities as well as economic losses that occurred.
Key Takeaways from Global Climate Risk Index 2020
- Japan, the Philippines and Germany are at the top for overall climate vulnerability in 2018. India has been ranked fifth.
- Between 1999 and 2018, Puerto Rico, Myanmar and Haiti were the countries most affected by extreme weather events.
- India suffered the maximum number of deaths (2,081) from climate-triggered extreme weather events in 2018.
- India was second in terms of economic losses in 2018.