- India has been selected as co-chair of the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery(GFDRR) for the fiscal year 2020.This is the first time that India will be co-chairing the CG meeting of GFDRR.
- This decision was taken during the meeting of GFDRR held in Geneva, Switzerland on the margins of the 6th Session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- GFDRR is a global partnership that helps developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerability to natural hazards and climate change.It is a grant-funding mechanism managed by the World Bank that supports disaster risk management projects worldwide.
- The Consultative Group(CG) is GFDRR primary decision-making and advisory body.It consists of members and observers who sets GFDRR long-term strategic objectives and oversees expected results.
- India had become a member of CG of GFDRR in 2015.India had expressed its interest to co-chair during the last meeting of the group held in October 2018.
- This co-chairing will give India an opportunity to work with the member countries and organizations with a focused contribution towards advancing the disaster risk reduction agenda during the course of the year
Please follow and like us: