- India has welcomed the ASEAN’s outlook on the Indo-Pacific by saying that it sees important elements of convergence with its own perspective on the region.
- The ASEAN nations has adopted the ‘ASEAN Outlook on the Indo-Pacific’ in the recently concluded ASEAN Officials Meeting(SOM) held in Bangkok,Thailand.
- The outlook says that it views Asia-Pacific and the Indian Ocean regions not as contiguous territorial spaces but as a closely integrated and interconnected region.
- The outlook also says that it views the Indo-Pacific as a region of dialogue and cooperation instead of rivalry,besides envisaging development and prosperity for all.
- The Indo-Pacific is an integrated region that combines the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean and the land masses that surround them.
- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations(ASEAN) was established in 1967 in Bangkok,Thailand.It was established with the signing of an ASEAN Declaration(Bangkok Declaration).
- The 10 countries of ASEAN are Brunei,Cambodia,Indonesia,Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
8 min read