News:Research laboratories working under the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR) has announced the completion of IndiGen Genome Project.
About IndiGen Genome Project:
- The Project is being implemented by the CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB),Delhi and CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB),Hyderabad.
- The aim of the project is to undertake whole genome sequencing of thousands of individuals representing diverse ethnic groups from India.
- The project also aims to enable genetic epidemiology and develop public health technologies applications using population genome data.
Significance of the initiative:
- The genomic data will help scientists understand genetic diversity of the Indian population and make available genetic variant frequencies for clinical applications.
- The outcomes of the project will also find applications in a number of areas, including faster and efficient diagnosis of rare genetic disease.
- The project will also lead to cost-effective genetic tests enabling efficient diagnosis of heritable cancers and pharmacogenetic tests to prevent adverse drug reactions.
About Genome Sequencing:
- Genome sequencing means determining the order of the four chemical building blocks called bases that make up the DNA molecule.
- Genome sequencing helps to understand how genes work together to direct the growth, development and maintenance of an organism.It helps to determine unique genetic traits, susceptibility and resilience to diseases.