News:Defence minister has launched Navy’s first new stealth frigate,INS ‘Nilgiri’ at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited in Mumbai.
About INS Nilgiri:
- INS Nilgiri is the first of the Indian Navy’s seven new stealth frigates with enhanced stealth features,weapons and sensors.
- It is the first ship of the P-17A frigates.
- The Project 17A is a follow-on of the Project 17 Shivalik-class frigate for the Indian Navy.
- The ships have been named after the first major warships to be built in India which in turn were named after hill ranges in India.
- A total of seven ships will be built under this project 17-A.The four ships will be constructed by Mazagon Dock Ltd in Mumbai and three by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers in Kolkata.
- The seven ships under this project are (a)INS Nilgiri (b)INS Himgiri (c)INS Udaygiri (d)INS Dunagiri (e)INS Taragiri (f)INS Vindhyagiri and (g)INS Mahendragiri.