News: The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind has conferred the “Vayoshreshtha Samman-2019” to mark ‘International Day of older Persons’.
About Vayoshreshtha Samman
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment decided in the year 2005 to confer Vayoshreshtha Sammans to eminent senior citizens and Institutions in recognition for their service to elderly persons, especially indigent senior citizens.
- The “Vayoshrestha Samman” was elevated to the level of national awards in 2013. It is conferred every year in thirteen categories. The Awards are given to institutions/organisations/individuals from any part of the country.
- These awards are presented as part of the celebration of the International Day of Older Persons (IDOP).
International Day of Older Persons (IDOP):
- It is celebrated every year on 1st of October. The United Nations General Assembly designated 1st October the International Day of Older Persons in 1990.
- The day aims to raise awareness about the issues affecting the elderly and emphasises the need to ensure people can grow old with dignity.
- The theme of the 2019 IDOP is “The Journey to Age Equality”.