- Bhutan Prime Minister has talked about the major themes in Indo-Bhutan relations,the SAARC region as well as Indian Prime Minister upcoming visit to Bhutan.
- He said that India and Bhutan ties are at their highest possible point in relations as both countries has no outstanding issues.
- The two countries are cooperating on various projects such as Mangdechhu project which is in the final stages of completion and other bilateral projects such as the South Asia Satellite programme.
- On the Indian proposal of a Motor Vehicles Agreement (MVA) within the Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal (BBIN) grouping,Bhutan PM said that the country signing on to BBIN for the economic benefits must be balanced with our desire to preserve our environment,tradition and culture too.
- Further,he said that it is too early to call off SAARC.Geographically,we are grouped together but we aren’t doing well economically together.
- He also said that India and Pakistan need to work together for South Asian region as nothing can move ahead without their cooperation.
- The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation(SAARC) was established with the signing of the SAARC Charter in Dhaka on 8 December 1985.
- SAARC comprises of eight Member States namely Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.The Secretariat of SAARC is in Kathmandu,Nepal.
7 min read