- The Supreme Court has decided to conduct an in-house inquiry into the allegations of sexual harassment levelled against Chief Justice of India.
- The apex court has appointed a committee headed by senior-most judge of the Supreme Court.However,there will be no time frame to complete the inquiry and future course of action will depend on what comes out of the inquiry.
- Earlier,Supreme Court Bar Association(SCBA) had criticised the way the Chief Justice of India conducted judicial proceedings in the matter in violation of procedure established by law as well as principles of natural justice.They had said that according to the Supreme Court’s procedures, an in-house committee should have been set up to inquire into the incident.
- Recently,Chief Justice of India had convened an urgent suo motu(of its own accord) hearing into the allegations of sexual harassment levelled against him by a former staffer.He had set up a three member bench headed by himself that comprised two other judges.
- During the hearing,CJI rejected the charges levelled against him. However,at the end of the hearing,the CJI withdrew himself from the matter and a judicial order was passed by the other two judges.
Please follow and like us: