News:Indian Prime Minister will inaugurate the Kartarpur corridor on November 8,2019.
About Kartarpur corridor:
- The Kartarpur Corridor is a 4km long corridor comprising border gates, road and a bridge to link Dera Baba Nanak gurdwara in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan.
- The corridor is aimed at allowing the easy movement of Sikh pilgrims to the Kartarpur gurdwara.
- The gurdwara in Kartarpur stands on the bank of River Ravi,about 120 km northeast of Lahore.It is revered as Guru Nanak’s final resting place.
Significance of the Gurdwara:
- The Gurdwara Darbar Sahib was built to commemorate the place where the Sikh founder Guru Nanak settled after completing his missionary works.
- He lived at the site for around 18 years till his death in 1539.The shrine is built where Guru Nanak is said to have died.