- The Intersessional meeting of the Kimberley Process(KP) is being hosted by India from 17th to 21st June,2019 in Mumbai.
- The Kimberley Process(KP) is an international certification scheme that came into force in 2003.It regulates trade in rough diamonds.It aims to prevent the flow of conflict diamonds.
- Conflict diamonds also known as blood diamonds are rough diamonds used by rebel movements or their allies to finance armed conflicts aimed at undermining legitimate governments.
- The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme(KPCS) outlines the rules that govern the trade in rough diamonds.
- The KP is not an international organisation as it has no permanent offices or permanent staff.It relies on the contributions under the principle of burden sharing of participants supported by industry and civil society observers.
- The Kimberley Process (KP) is a binding agreement that imposes extensive requirements through the national legislation of its participants.
- India is a founding member of the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS).Further,Kimberley Process is also described in the United Nation Security Council(UNSC) Resolutions.
7 min read