- A group of Indian Origin youth has visited India under ‘Know India Programme’(KIP).
- Know India Programme(KIP) is a flagship programme of Ministry of External Affairs.The programme has been in existence since 2003.
- The objective of the programme is to engage with Indian origin youth (between 18-30 years) to enhance their awareness about India, its cultural heritage, art and to familiarize them with various aspects of contemporary India.
- The duration of the Programme is a 25 days during which the participant will visit Delhi and a select state in India along with visits to places of historical, cultural, religious significance.
- This programme is open to youth of Indian origin excluding non-resident Indians from all over the world with preference to those from Girmitiyas countries.
- Girmitiyas or Indentured Labourers is the name given the Indians who left Indian in the middle and late 19th Century to serve as labourers in the British colonies where the majority eventually settled.Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago are known as Girmitiya Countries.
2 min read