- Former Maldives President has said that Maldives should not try to balance relations with India and China.
- He has said that Maldives should maintain cultural ties with China.But the country cannot afford to have defence cooperation with China.
- These statements came in the backdrop of Indian Prime Minister state visit to the Maldives.During the visit,India reaffirmed its Neighbourhood first policy while Maldives strongly conveyed its India first policy.
- Indian Prime Minister was also conferred the prestigious Order of Distinguished Rule of Nishan Izzuddeen during the visit.
- India-Maldives ties has improved after the election of new Maldivian President.Earlier,ties had dipped to an all-time low under former president.
- Maldives is a key country in the Indian Ocean region and lies in the heart of busy shipping lanes connecting Africa and Asia.
6 min read