- NASA is planning to launch Double Asteroid Redirection Test(DART).It is a spacecraft designed to determine whether an asteroid can be redirected with a high-speed collision.
- It will be launched with the help of SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that will hit a small moonlet in the binary near-earth asteroid system Didymos in September 2022.
- DART would be NASA’s first mission to demonstrate what’s known as the kinetic impactor technique.It is a technique of striking the asteroid to shift its orbit to defend against a potential future asteroid impact.
- It is planned to intercept the secondary member of the Didymos system. By using solar electric propulsion,it will intercept the target when the asteroid will be within 11 million km of Earth.
- Asteroid are relatively small, inactive, rocky body orbiting the Sun. Didymos is a binary asteroid and it was chosen because of its close proximity to Earth and its size.
4 min read