- NASA has announced that it will send a multi-rotor vehicle called Dragonfly to Titan. This will be the first time that NASA will fly a multi- rotor vehicle for science on other planet.
- The Dragonfly will fly to different locations on Titan looking for prebiotic chemical processes common to both Earth and Titan.
- The Titan is the largest moon of Saturn. It is the solar system’s second largest moon; the first largest moon being Jupiter’s Ganymede.
- Titan has a nitrogen-based atmosphere like Earth. However, unlike Earth, Titan has clouds and rain of methane.
- The surface temperature at Titan is -179 degrees Celsius. Further, its surface pressure is 50% higher than that of Earth’s
- The Dragonfly mission the 4th mission of NASA’s New Frontiers Programme. It is a series of space exploration missions being conducted by NASA with the purpose of researching several of the Solar System bodies
- The three prior New Frontiers missions are a) New Horizons, which flew past Pluto in 2015, b) Juno which is a Jupiter exploration mission, and c) OSIRIS-REx, which is circling the asteroid Bennu.
5 min read