- NASA has planned to send first woman to moon in 2024 in its ambitious plan named Artemis.
- NASA’s new manned mission to the moon will be named as Artemis.The Artemis program began when US President had signed Space Policy Directive in 2017 directing NASA to send astronauts to the moon.
- ARTEMIS stands for Acceleration, Reconnection, Turbulence and Electrodynamics of the Moon’s Interaction with the Sun.
- Artemis is named after the Greek goddess of the Moon and twin sister of the god Apollo.The Apollo program famously put the first men on the lunar surface in the 1960 and 70s.
- The Artemis mission is designed to not only return to the Moon.It also includes establishing of lunar outpost,investigating the Moon’s resources and how they might be exploited and using it a base to explore Mars and further into deep space.
- However,NASA is nowhere near completion in developing crew capsules and rockets for this mission.Additionally,they also need to complete the vast amounts of scientific hardware that need to be transported to the lunar surface.
5 min read