- The National Institute of Nutrition(NIN) has said that it stands by its report of nutritional adequacy of the midday meals supplied by Akshaya Patra Foundation(APF) to the government schools in Karnataka.
- Recently,section of civil society has written a letter to the NIN to withdraw its report endorsing the APF refusal to follow a directive given by the Karnataka government to include onions and garlic in the Mid-Day Meal Scheme.
- NIN in its response has said that while bio-availability of nutrients definitely increases with the addition of vegetables every vegetable cannot be looked into isolation.Bioavailability is the proportion of a nutrient the human body is able to absorb and use.
- The National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) is an Indian Public health, Nutrition and Translational research center located in Hyderabad.The institute is one of the oldest research centers in India and the largest center under the Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR).
- Mid-Day Meal Scheme is a centrally-sponsored Scheme that provides children studying in Classes I-VIII of government and government aided schools with cooked mid day meal.
- The key objectives of the MDMS is to a) improve the nutritional status of children and b) improve enrolment,attendance and retention rates in schools and EGS/AIE centres(Alternative and Innovative Education Centers).
9 min read