News: The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has decided to come up with a specialized unit in each battalion to help preserve monuments and other heritage structure in pre and post disaster scenarios.
About National Disaster Response Force (NDRF)
- The NDRF is a specialised force constituted for the purpose of specialist response to a threatening disaster situation or disaster under the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
Role of NDRF:
- Provide specialized response for rescue and
relief in case of disasters-natural and manmade.
- Deployment in case of impending disasters.
- Assistance to civil authorities in distribution of relief material during/after disaster.
- Co- ordination with other agencies engaged in rescue/relief work
Tasks of NDRF:
Deployment in case of impending disaster and provide specialist response in case of disasters which covers:
- Removal of debris.
- Extrication of victims-live or dead.
- First medical response to victims.
- To extend moral support to victims.
- Assistance to civil authorities in distribution of relief material
- Co-ordination with sister agencies.
- Providing assistance to foreign countries if asked.
- Capacity building.
- Imparting training to State Disaster Response Forces (SDRF)
- Community awareness- Target groups-villagers, school children, NGOs, volunteers and state administration.