- The Central Government has told the Delhi High Court that learning disabilities can be diagnosed by the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) battery.It is a tool which ascertains the degree of the disability.
- This submission was made while hearing a plea by a petitioner who claimed that there is no method or criteria fixed for ascertaining the percentage of disability in learning disability cases.
- The Centre said that anyone who tests positive according to the battery, would be considered as 40% disabled and they would be eligible for all the attendant benefits.
- The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences is a premier medical institution located in Bangalore,India.NIMHANS is the apex centre for mental health and neuroscience education in the country.The institute operates autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Learning disabilities have also been included in the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016.The act seeks to enhance the Rights and Entitlements of disabled people and provide an effective mechanism for ensuring their empowerment and true inclusion into the society.
6 min read