- Prime Minister has approved the reconstitution of National Institution for Transforming India(NITI Aayog).
- The Prime Minister will serve as the Chairman of Niti Aayog.Vice chairman Rajiv Kumar continues in his post along with Permanent members VK Saraswat, Ramesh Chand and VK Paul.
- The ex-officio members now include Defence Minister, the Home Minister, the Finance Minister and the Agriculture Minister.
- Further,special invitees to NITI Aayog include Minister of Road, Transport and Highways, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Minister of Railways and Minister of Statistics.
- The NITI Aayog was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1,2015.NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India providing both directional and policy inputs.
- NITI Aayog had replaced planning commission as the premier think tank.While designing strategic and long term policies and programmes for the Government of India,NITI Aayog also provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States.
- NITI Aayog also acts as the quintessential platform of the Government of India to bring States to act together in national interest and thereby fosters Cooperative Federalism.
8 min read