News: Nobel Prizes 2019 in Physics, Chemistry and Medicine have been declared.
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2019
- It was awarded jointly to William G. Kaelin Jr, Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe and Gregg L. Semenza.
- William Kaelin is at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, Peter Ratcliffe is from University of Oxford in the United Kingdom and Gregg Semenza is at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore.
- They have been awarded for their discoveries of how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability.
Nobel Prize in Physics 2019
- It was awarded jointly to James Peebles, Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz
- Canadian-born James Peebles is an emeritus professor at Princeton University, Swiss scientists Michel Mayor, and Didier Queloz, are from the University of Geneva.
- They have been awarded for contributions to the understanding of the evolution of the universe and Earth’s place in the cosmos.
- James Peebles has been awarded for theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology. Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz have been awarded for the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019
- It has been awarded to John B. Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham and Akira Yoshino for the development of lithium-ion batteries.
- The Nobel Prize is a set of annual international awards bestowed in several categories by Swedish and Norwegian institutions in recognition of academic, cultural, or scientific advances.
- The will of the Swedish chemist, engineer and industrialist Alfred Nobel established the Nobel prizes in physics, chemistry, medicine, peace and literature in 1895. The award for Economics was created by Sweden’s Central Bank in 1968.