- An analysis of Common Service Centres (CSC) data from 2014 to 2019 has shown that there has been a four-fold increase in the number of transactions through CSCs since 2014.
- Common Services Centre (CSC) programme is an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY). It was launched in 2006. CSCs act as access points for delivery of various electronic services to villages in India.
- CSC e-Governance Services India Limited is a Special Purpose Vehicle (CSC SPV) incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) to monitor the implementation of the Common Services Centres Scheme.
- The Government launched the CSC 2.0 scheme in 2015 to expand the outreach of CSCs to all Gram Panchayats across the country. Under CSC 2.0 scheme, the aim was to set up at least one CSC in each of the 2.5 lakh GPs across the country by 2019.
- In 2016, CSC- Wi-Fi Choupal was initiated. It seeks to boost internet connectivity at the last mile by utilizing BharatNet infrastructure. It engages Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs) as Community Internet Service Providers.
- BharatNet project (previously known as National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN)) seeks to provide high speed broadband connectivity to all gram panchayats across India.
5 min read