- According to Government data,the States and UTs have utilised less than 20% of the budget allocated to them under the Nirbhaya Fund between 2015 and 2018.
- The top five States/ UTs ranked in terms of utilisation of money across various schemes under the Nirbhaya Fund were Chandigarh, Mizoram Uttarakhand,Andhra Pradesh and Nagaland.
- The worst five States/UTs includes Manipur,Maharashtra,Lakshadweep which didn’t spend even a single penny and were followed by West Bengal and Delhi.
- The Nirbhaya fund scheme seeks to support initiatives by the government and NGOs working towards protecting the dignity and ensuring the safety of women in India.
- The fund was set up in 2013 in the aftermath of the gruesome gang-rape and murder in Delhi.
- The key schemes under which the States have been allocated money include (a)Emergency Response Support System (b)Central Victim Compensation Fund (c)Cyber Crime Prevention against Women and Children (d)One Stop Scheme (e)Mahila Police Volunteer and (f)Universalisation of Women Helpline Scheme.
6 min read