- A High-Level Committee constituted by the government has submitted its recommendations to bring down India’s dependence on crude oil imports.
- The committee was formed to look into issues related to (a)research and development centres of oil and gas public sector undertakings(PSUs) (b)tax issues and ways of benefiting from the goods and services tax (GST) and (c)possibilities of mergers, acquisition and consolidation of oil and gas PSUs and their joint ventures.
- The committee has also looked into the proposal of formation of new entity dealing with oil services and supply of qualified manpower to the Oil and Gas sector around the world.
- This committee was formed after the oil ministry has said that India’s import dependence of crude oil and liquefied natural gas (LNG) increased to 82.59% and 45.89% respectively.
- The committee has recommended short term, medium term and long term strategies in the report by clearly bringing out the strategy to reduce the import dependency of the nation.
- The ministry has said that it will consider the recommendations submitted by the committee while formulating policies in the matter.
6 min read