- Prime Minister has called a meeting of all parties represented in Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha to discuss the issue of ‘one nation,one election’.
- One Nation,One Election is the method of holding single elections for both Lok Sabha and States instead of separate and continuous elections.
- One Nation,One Election is needed as India being one of the largest countries in the world,every year one or the other state is geared up for an election in India.
- Further,the separate elections leads to (a)massive expenditure (b) diversion of security and civil staff from primary duties (c)impact on governance due to the model code of conduct and (d)disruption to normal public life.
- However,to conduct simultaneous elections in India,many amendments to the constitution of India are required.Besides,the deployment of security forces located in widely varying geographic and climatic conditions at the same time will also be extremely difficult
- Simultaneous elections would mean arbitrarily curtailing or extending the term of existing legislatures to bring their election dates in line with the due date for the rest of the country.Such a measure would undermine democracy and federalism.
- One Nation One Poll’ is a good idea for Indian polity but its feasibility needs to be thoroughly examined by involving all the stakeholders in debate and discussion.
6 min read