News: Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is set to announce Pradhan Mantri — Assured and Safe Motherhood Initiative (PM-ASMI)
About Pradhan Mantri — Assured and Safe Motherhood Initiative (PM-ASMI)
- It aims to bring down maternal and newborn deaths to zero.
- It will focus on providing quality medical services to pregnant women and infants at a public facility.
- The scheme will integrate all ongoing schemes to ensure safe maternal and child health. The integration would ensure better access to free, quality medical services.
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
- Launch: 2016
- Aim: To provide assured, comprehensive and quality antenatal care, free of cost, universally to all pregnant women on the 9th of every month.
- Beneficiary: Pregnant Women who are in the 2nd & 3rd Trimesters of pregnancy.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
- Provision: Under the campaign, a minimum package of antenatal care services is provided to the beneficiaries on the 9th day of every month at the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Clinics.
Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram
- Launch: 2011
- Aim: To benefit pregnant women who access Government health facilities for their delivery.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family.
- Provision: The scheme entitles all pregnant women delivering in public health institutions to absolutely free and no expense delivery, including caesarean section. The entitlements include free drugs and consumables, free diet up to 3 days during normal delivery and up to 7 days for C-section, free diagnostics, and free blood wherever required.
LaQshya (Labour room Quality improvement Initiative)
- Launch: 2018
- Aim: Improving quality of care in labour room and maternity Operation Theatre (OT) in public health facilities.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Provision: Under the initiative, a multi-pronged strategy has been adopted such as – a) improving infrastructure up-gradation, b) ensuring availability of essential equipment, c) providing adequate human resources, d) capacity building of health care workers and e) improving quality processes in the labour room.