- Indian President Ram Nath Kovind has recently presented the Padma Awards 2019. The Padma Awards are one of the highest civilian honours of India. The awards are announced annually on the eve of Republic Day.
- The Awards are given in three categories viz. a) Padma Vibhushan, b) Padma Bhushan and c) Padma Shri.
- Padma Vibhushan is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service. Padma Bhushan is awarded for distinguished service of a high order. While, Padma Shri is awarded for distinguished service.
- The Padma Awards are conferred on the recommendations made by the Padma Awards Committee. The committee is constituted by the Prime Minister every year. The Padma Awards Committee is headed by the Cabinet Secretary. It includes Home Secretary, Secretary to the President and 4-6 eminent personalities as its members.
- In 1954, the government of India instituted Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna Award. Padma Vibhushan had three classes Viz. Pahela Varg, Dusra Varg and Tisra Varg. These were subsequently renamed as Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri in 1955.
- Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of India. It is awarded in recognition of exceptional service or performance of the highest order in any field of human endeavour. The recommendations for Bharat Ratna are made by the Prime Minister to the President of India.
2 min read