- China has said that some progress has been achieved on designating Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist by the UN.
- Earlier,China had blocked India’s bid to designate Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar as a terrorist under the UNSC 1267 Sanctions Committee.It had placed a technical hold on the resolution.
- The proposal to designate Masood Azhar was moved by France,UK and the US.It was moved after the Pulwama terror attack that was claimed by JeM.This was the fourth attempt by countries at the UNSC and India to bring Azhar under UN sanctions .
- China had vetoed each of the previous proposals citing it had not received enough evidence against Masood Azhar,who was released by India in 1999 during the IC-814 hijacking in exchange for hostages.
- The UNSC 1267 Committee was established as a result of resolution 1267 (1999).If an individual or an organisation is included in the list, it leads to(a)countries to freeze the targeted group’s or individual’s assets (b)ban designated individuals from travelling and (c)prevent the supply of weapons, technology and other aid.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.It is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- The UN Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.
6 min read