- An initiative called Project Sahara by the Ahmedabad district administration has reduced maternal deaths due to postpartum haemorrhage (PPH).
- Under Project Sahara, Non-pneumatic Anti-Shock garment (NASG) has been provided to primary health centres in the district. At present, 40 PHCs in Ahmedabad have an NASG suit each.
- Postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) leads to continuous and excessive bleeding. The rapid loss of blood because of PPH reduces the body’s blood pressure and can even cause death.
- The NASG applies pressure to the lower body and abdomen, thereby forcing the blood that was getting accumulated in the pelvic area to other essential organs of the body.
- According to Sample Registration System data of 2016-17, Gujarat’s maternal Mortality Rate was 91.
- Maternal mortality refers to the number of maternal deaths which occur due to pregnancy or as a result of a complication of the same. Maternal mortality rate (MMR) is taken as the number of recorded maternal deaths, for every 1 lakh live births.
- United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDG 3.1) calls to reduce MMR to less than 70 per 100,000 live births by 2030.
2 min read