News:Former Jammu and Kashmir(J&K) Chief Minister detention under the J&K’s Public Safety Act (PSA) has been extended to three more months.
About Public Safety act:
- The Public Safety Act was first promulgated in J&K in 1978 for administrative detention.
- The Act was introduced to prevent the smuggling of timber and keep the smugglers out of circulation.
- The act allowed the government to detain any person above the age of 16 without trial for a period of two years.
- However,after the amendments were made to the PSA in 2012,the detention of a person below the age of 18 was strictly prohibited under this Act.
- The detention order is passed either by Divisional Commissioner or the District Magistrate.
- The act also provides for an Advisory Board as a non-judicial body to review detention orders and determine whether there is sufficient cause for detention.