News:The Quacquarelli Symonds(QS) World University Asia Rankings 2020 has been released.
About the QS rankings:
- QS Asia University Ranking is an annual publication of university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS).
- The universities are assessed based on academic reputation, employer reputation, student-faculty ratio, international faculty and students, staff with PhD, papers per faculty and citations per paper among other parameters.
Key takeaways from the rankings:
- The National University of Singapore is ranked Asia’s best for the second consecutive year.
- It is followed by Nanyang Technological University which has risen from 3rd to 2nd and the University of Hong Kong.
- India has 96 universities in the QS Asia University Ranking.But India does not yet have a university among the top 30.
- The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay leads at overall 34th place and is followed by IIT Delhi in the 43rd place and by IIT Madras in the 50th position.
- Only China is more represented than India with 118 featured universities, including four in the top 10 this year.
What did the report said on India:
- According to QS, India has embraced rankings more than any other regional countries.It has got eight Indian universities among the top 100.
- The Indian higher education system has also grown exponentially over the past decade.The number of universities has nearly doubled and the number of colleges has grown by 50%.
- However,it also said that sustained investment in research funding, teaching and internationalization is paramount to enhance India’s competitive edge.