News:Minister of Railways has informed the Lok Sabha about the Rashtriya Rail Sanrakshan kosh.
About Rashtriya Rail Sanrakshan kosh:
- Rashtriya Rail Sanraksha Rosh(RRSK) is a dedicated fund for critical safety-related works of the Indian Railways.
- The fund was announced in the Budget 2017-18.The special safety fund has a corpus of more than Rs. 1 lakh crore over a period of five years.
- The Finance Ministry would contribute Rs. 15,000 crore annually towards the fund while the Ministry of Railways would fund the balance Rs. 5,000 crore every year.
Significance of the fund:
- The fund has helped Indian Railways to accomplish zero-accident mission by strengthening the safety measures on the rail network in a comprehensive way.
- Under this fund,envisaged works like track renewal and upgradation, bridge rehabilitation, elimination of level-crossings, construction of road over bridges/road under bridges have been undertaken.
- It has also been used for replacement and improvement of signalling system, improvement and upgradation of rolling stock, replacement of electrical assets and human resource development.