News:Recently,500 passenger locomotives of the South Central Railway (SCR) have been fitted with the newly developed Real-time Train Information System (RTIS).
About Real-time Train Information System(RTIS):
- The system has been developed by the Centre for Railway Information Systems(CIRE) with the help of ISRO-Airports Authority of India’s GAGAN-Global Positioning System(GPS) aided geo-augmented navigation.
- The system is aimed at automatic transmission of speed and movement of trains to the central control office for improving the train control functions.
- The RTIS device uses GAGAN to transmit a signal to the control hubs.
Significance of RTIS:
- Passengers and freight customers will receive a more accurate information on train status when the train concerned is connected to a locomotive equipped with RTIS
- Low speed can be detected and intervention can be made to improve punctuality.
- Locomotor can send emergency messages to the control room with the push of a button.
- Unscheduled stoppages between the stations can be identified.
- GPS Aided GEO Augmented Navigation(GAGAN) is a step by the Indian Government towards initial Satellite-based Navigation Services in India.
- It is a system to improve the accuracy of a global navigation satellite system (GNSS) receiver by providing reference signals.
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) have collaborated to develop GAGAN as a regional Satellite Based Augmentation System(SBAS).
- GAGAN’s goal is to provide a navigation system to assist aircraft in accurate landing over the Indian airspace and in the adjoining area and applicable to safety-to-life civil operations.
- GAGAN covers the area from Africa to Australia and has expansion capability for seamless navigation services across the region.