News:Recently,the Yakshagana committee hosted the 60th annual Yakshagana in the Padmanur village, Karnataka.It is a multi-faith committee consisting of Hindus, Christians and Muslims and it hosts Yakshagana every year.
- Yakshagana literally means the song (gana) of the yaksha (nature spirits).It is believed to have originated somewhere in between the 10th and the 16th century.
- It is a traditional theatre form that combines dance, music, dialogue, costumes, make-up, and stage techniques with a unique style and form.
- It was mainly developed in Udupi,Karnataka.It is popular in the districts of Dakshina Kannada, Kasaragod, Udupi, Uttara Kannada and Shimoga in Karnataka .
- Yakshagana is traditionally presented from dusk to dawn.Its stories are drawn from Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata and other Hindu epics.
- The Yakshagana performance consists of background music played by a group of musicians (known as the himmela) and a dance and dialog group (known as the mummela) who together enact poetic epics on stage.