- Researchers have developed a wastewater treatment process.This process uses a common agricultural byproduct to effectively remove pollutants and environmental hormones known as endocrine disruptors.
- In this process,the team has used rice hulls which are discarded during rice harvesting to create eco-friendly and economical,biochar.The surface of the biochar was coated with nano-sized manganese dioxide to create nanocomposite.
- Environmental hormones are chemical compounds that resembles endocrine hormones.These compounds are able to activate the same endocrine receptors as their natural counterparts and can thus disrupt hormonal activity.
- Both wastewater and sewage that are unavoidably formed at any industrial worksite usually consist of huge quantities of environmental hormones (endocrine disruptors) and pollutants.
- Since environmental hormones do not disintegrate easily,they can have a massive adverse impact on the environment as well as on the human body.This wastewater treatment process will help in removing these environmental hormones.
2 min read