News:Rustom-2 has crashed during a trial at Karnataka’s Chitradurga district.
- Rustom 2 is part of the Rustom line of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles(UAVs) that includes Rustom-I, Rustom-H and Rustom-C.
- The drone was developed for use by all three services of the Indian armed forces primarily for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) operations.
- The drone can fly at over 22,000 ft and is a medium-altitude long endurance(MALE) UAV that has an approximate flight time of 20 hours.
- Rustom 2 can fly missions on manual as well as autonomous modes. The onboard way-point navigation system allows the drone to conduct missions autonomously.
- The drone can carry a variety of payloads like Medium and long Range Electro Optic , Synthetic Aperture Radar(SAR), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) and Situational Awareness Payloads(SAP) that helps in performing missions even during the night.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles(UAVs):
- Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or unmanned aircraft systems (UASes) are also known as drones.
- The drones may be remotely controlled or fly autonomously through software-controlled flight plans in their embedded systems working in conjunction with onboard sensors and GPS.