News:Recently, Santhali language has been spoken for the first time in the Rajya Sabha.
About Santhali Language:
- Santhali is the language from the North Mundari group of the Austro asiatic Munda family.
- Santhali is written in Ol Chiki script which was created by Pt. Raghunath Murmu in 1925.
- The language is primarily spoken in India (Jharkhand, West Bengal, Odisha and Assam), Bangladesh and Nepal.
- By 92nd Constitutional Amendment Act, 2003, Santhali along with Bodo, Maithili and Dogri were added to the 8th Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- In August 2018,Santhali language got its own Wikipedia edition in its own script.
- Santhals forms the third largest tribal group in India.They call themselves Hor ko(Man) or Horhopon ko(sons of Man).
- Santhals follow the Sarna religion.Their God and Goddess are Marangburu, Jaheraera, and Manjh.
- Sohrai is the principal festival of Santal community.Besides that Baha, Karam, Dansai, Sakrat, Mahmore, Rundo and Magsim are important festivals.
- Chadar Badar,a form of puppetry known also as Santal puppetry is a folk show involving wooden puppets placed in a small cage which acts as the stage.
About Santhal rebellion:
- The Santhal rebellion commonly known as Santhal Hool was a native rebellion in Jharkhand against both the British colonial authority and zamindari system.
- The rebellion was led by the four Murmu Brothers – Sidhu, Kanhu, Chand and Bhairav.
- The rebellion was a revolt against the oppression of the British rule propagated through a distorted revenue system, enforced by the local zamindars, the police and the courts of the legal system.
- The rebellion was started in 1855.However,the revolt was brutally crushed when the two celebrated leaders Sidhu and Kanhu were killed by the British.