News: Ministry of Rural Development is organising SARAS Aajeevika Mela at India Gate Lawns from 10th October to 23rd October, 2019.
About Saras Aajeevika Mela:
- SARAS Aajeevika Mela is an initiative under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY – NRLM).
- The Mela is organised by Council for Advancement of People’s Action and Rural Technology(CAPART),the marketing arm of the Ministry of Rural development.
- The objective of the initiative is to bring the rural women SHGs – Self Help Groups under one platform.
- This is to help them showcase their skills, sell their products and build linkages with buyers.
About National Rural Livelihoods Mission(NRLM):
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana -National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) was launched by the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), Government of India in 2011.
- The objective of the Mission is to promote sustainable livelihoods for the poor such that they come out of poverty.
- The institutions of the poor are intended to facilitate (a) access to formal credit (b) support for diversification and strengthening of livelihoods and (c) access to entitlements and public services.
- The mission is aided in part through investment support by the World Bank.
- The mission has set out with an agenda to cover 7 Crore rural poor households through self-managed Self Help Groups(SHGs) and federated institutions and support them for livelihoods collectives in a period of 8-10 years.