- The Supreme Court has stayed the Punjab Land Preservation (Haryana amendment) Act, 2019. The Court has further expressed concerns over the Haryana government’s decision to allow construction in forest areas of Aravalli zone.
- The PLPA 2019 was recently passed by the Haryana government. The Act amends the PLPA 1900. It permits construction activities in areas that were protected as forests under PLPA 1900.
- According to critics, the act is a violation of several Supreme Court orders, in which it has been stated that areas under PLPA are deemed forest. Environmentalists have expressed concerns that the amendments would allow illegal mining and real estate development in the Aravalli area, perpetuating environmental degradation.
- Aravalli are the oldest mountain range in India. It spreads across the states of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana and Delhi.
- The Aravalli fold mountains is particularly significant for it’s a) role in prevention of the spread of the Thar Desert towards eastern Rajasthan, Indo Gangetic plains, Haryana and Western UP, b) ground water recharge function, c) blocking dust storms approaching and d) ecological balance: It has forested patches: Haryana’s five forest divisions- Gurgaon, Mewat, Mahendergarh, Faridabad and Rewari- still have more than 465sqkm of total forest area.
2 min read