News: The Supreme Court in its interim order allowed the plea of the Karnataka government for implementation of the final award by a tribunal for sharing of water between Goa, Karnataka, and Maharashtra from the Mahadayi river.
- The tribunal had allocated 13.42 TMC water from the Mahadayi river basin to Karnataka. Maharashtra was allotted 1.33 TMC water while Goa was given 24 TMC.
- The Karnataka government had petitioned the tribunal seeking the release of 7.56 TMC of water for the Kalasa-Banduri Nala project.
- Mahadayi or Mhadei is the west-flowing river. It rises in the Western Ghats from the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary in Khanapur taluk of Karnataka’s Belagavi district.
- A number of streams join the flow of the river which drains into the Arabian Sea at Panaji.
About Kalasa-Banduri Project:
- The Kalasa-Banduri Nala is a project undertaken by the Government of Karnataka to improve drinking water supply to the Districts of Belagavi, Dharwad and Gadag.