- The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) has proposed a new scheme named Scientific and Useful Profound Research Advancement (SUPRA).
- The objective of the scheme is to fund exploration of new scientific and engineering breakthroughs with global impact.
- The scheme will fund disruptive ideas that can lead to new areas of study, new scientific concepts, new products and technologies.
- The scheme is also designed to attract high quality research proposals consisting of new hypotheses or challenge existing ones and provide ‘out-of-box’ solutions.
- SERB is a statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology.It was established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009.
- The Board was set up for promoting basic research in science and engineering and to provide financial assistance to scientists, academic institutions, R&D laboratories, industrial concerns and other agencies for such research.
1 min read