- Government has appointed Shefali Juneja as India’s representative in the council of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
- ICAO is a specialized agency of the United Nations charged with coordinating and regulating international air travel.
- ICAO was established in 1944 by Convention on International Civil Aviation(Chicago Convention).It is headquartered in Quebec,Canada.
- It codifies the principles and techniques of international air navigation and fosters the planning and development of international air transport to ensure safe and orderly growth.
- ICAO council is composed of 36 states which are elected for a three-year term.
- The council member states are chosen under three headings (a)states of chief importance in air transport (b)states which make the largest contribution to the provision of facilities for air navigation and (c)states whose designation will ensure that all major areas of the world are represented.
5 min read