News: Union Minister of State for Tourism and Culture has inaugurated the Shirui Lily Festival in Ukhrul district,Manipur.
About the Shirui Lily festival:
- Shirui Lily Festival is an annual five-day State festival celebrated in Ukhrul district,Manipur.
- The festival seeks to spread awareness about the endangered Shirui Lily and promote the district of Ukhrul as a tourist destination in Manipur.
- It also demonstrates age-old traditions and culture of the inhabitants of district of Ukhrul.
About Shirui lily:
- Shirui Lily or Lilium mackliniae is the State Flower of Manipur.
- It is found only in the upper ranges of Shirui Hills in Ukhrul district of Manipur.
- The Shirui Lily has also been awarded at Royal Horticultural Society’s Flower Show in London in 1948.