- Government has announced a programme called ‘Study in India’.The programme aims to attract foreign students to pursue higher education in the country.
- The objectives of the programme includes (a)to make India a preferred education destination/hub for foreign students (b)improve the soft power of India with a focus on the neighbouring countries and use it as a tool in diplomacy (c)to increase India’s market share of global education exports (e)improvement in overall quality of higher education and (f)increase in global ranking of India.
- The programme will focus on attracting International students from select 30 plus countries across South-East Asia, Middle East and Africa.
- The programme envisages participation of select reputed Indian institutes/universities by way of offering seats for the International students at affordable rates.
- Moreover,the programme also envisages(a)setting up of call centres for support (b)algorithm for allocation of seats to the meritorious candidates (c)selection of top 100 partner institutions on the basis of National Assessment and Accreditation Council(NAAC) grading and National Institutional Ranking Framework(NIRF) ranking (d)branding activities in the target countries and (e)close coordination with Indian missions abroad and foreign missions in India
- The programme will also help domestic students to be exposed to a more diverse peer group and will also help to get greater International exposure culminating in enhanced interest of Indian students to study in the country.
2 min read