- India has successfully test-fired its long-range subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay from a test range in Odisha.It has been indigenously designed & developed by Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Nirbhay is an all-weather low-cost long-range cruise missile with stealth and high accuracy.The missile has a range of more than 1000 km.
- The missile has the capability to cruise at 0.7 Mach,at altitudes as low as 100 m.Its relatively slow flight speed allows it to navigate its way precisely to the target.
- The Nirbhay cruise missile is an Indian version of the American Tomahawk.The missile is capable of being launched from multiple platforms on land,sea and air.
- Subsonic means any speed lower than the speed of sound.Mach number greater than 1 is called as super-sonic.Further,cruise missile is a guided missile that flies with constant speed to deliver a warhead at specified target over long distance with high accuracy.
2 min read