- The Supreme Court has halted further construction of the Kandi road project. The Kandi Road Project seeks to connect Ramnagar in Kumaon to Kotdwar in Garhwal.
- The construction of the road has been stopped as it passes through a “critical” corridor between the Rajaji Tiger Reserve and the Corbett Tiger Reserve.
- The stay on Kandi road has come after an interim report was submitted to the court on June 19 by the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) that advises the SC on forest matters. The CEC has observed that the road passes through ecologically sensitive area and is being built without the statutory approval of the National Board for Wildlife.
- The Rajaji Tiger Reserve spreads over three districts of Uttarakhand: Haridwar, Dehradun and Pauri Garhwal. The national park was accorded the status of Tiger Reserve in 2015 and became the 48Th tiger reserve in India. The Ganga and Song rivers flow through the reserve
- Jim Corbet National Park was established in 1936 as Hailey National Park- the first national park in India. It is located in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand. The park was declared a Tiger Reserve in 1973- the first to come under the Project Tiger initiative.
5 min read