News: Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019 awards have been conferred upon top ranked states, union territories, and districts in the various categories on the occasion of World Toilet Day (19th November)
About Swachh Survekshan Grameen
- Swachh Survekshan Grameen provide national ranking of all districts and States of India on the basis of quantitative and qualitative sanitation (Swachhata) parameters. It assesses rural areas for their levels of cleanliness and active implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- It is commissioned by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The rankings are based on taking into account a set of comprehensive cleanliness parameters.
Weightage: The weights to different criteria of the SSG are as follows:
- Direct Observation of sanitation in public places (30%).
- Citizen’s Feedback including feedback from common citizens, key influencers at the village level and from citizens online using the App (35%).
- Service Level Progress on sanitation related parameters (35%).
Key takeaways from the survey:
- Top 3 States – 1) Tamil Nadu, 2) Haryana, Gujarat
- Top 3 Districts – 1) Peddapalli, Telangana, 2) Faridabad, Haryana, 3) Rewari, Haryana
- State with maximum citizen participation –Uttar Pradesh
Note: Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs takes up the Swachh Survekshan in urban areas
World Toilet Day
- World Toilet Day is celebrated on 19th November every year. The United Nations General Assembly designated 19 November as World Toilet Day through a resolution in 2013..
- It seeks to inspire action to tackle the global sanitation crisis and help achieve Sustainable Development Goal 6 (SDG 6), which promises sanitation for all by 2030.
- 2019 Theme: Leaving No One Behind- it seeks to draw attention to those people being left behind without sanitation