- Twenty-two Opposition parties have met the Election Commission (EC) demanding that tallying of the Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) slips in five polling booths in each Assembly segment with the electronic voting machines (EVMs) be done prior to the counting of votes.
- Further, the parties have demanded that if any discrepancy is found anywhere in the VVPAT verification, 100% counting of paper slips of VVPATs of all polling stations of that Assembly segment should be done.
- However, the EC remained non-committal and told them that there would be a special meeting of the full Commission to examine the issue.
- As per the Supreme Court’s order, The EC will counter-check the VVPAT and EVM tallies in five randomly selected polling stations in an Assembly segment. Previously, under the ECI guideline 16.6, only the VVPAT slips from one EVM in every Assembly segment/constituency was subjected to physical verification.
- Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) is an independent system attached to an EVM that allows the voters to verify that their votes are cast as intended. It helps to detect any possible election fraud or malfunction of EVMs
8 min read