- Geographical Indication Registry of India has accorded Geographical Indication(GI) tag to Tirur Vettila.
- Tirur Vettila is a betel leaf.It is produced in Tirur and nearby areas of Malappuram district,Kerala.
- Tirur Vettila is unique for its significantly high content of total chlorophyll and protein in fresh leaves.The leaf also has several medicinal properties.
- Eugenol is the major essential oil in Tirur betel leaf contributing to its pungency.It’s shelf period is also more compared to other betel leaves.
- A geographical indication(GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.GI tags are given on the basis of the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act,1999.
- GI tag secures the quality and authenticity of a product to a particular geographical origin.It provides legal protection from duplication.The first product to get GI tag was Darjeeling Tea.
2 min read