News:The Central Government is preparing a comprehensive database of economic offenders called the National Economic Offence Records(NEOR).
About National Economic Offence Records(NEOR):
- The National Economic Offence Records(NEOR) will be a web portal that will disseminate information to grassroots level officers of enforcement and investigating agencies.
- The database will help in coordinated actions by multiple agencies against corrupt officials and corporate houses indulging in financial frauds and money laundering.
- The database is being prepared by the Central Economic Intelligence Bureau (CEIB),an arm of the finance ministry along with National Informatics Centre(NIC).
Which agencies are included in the database?
- All agencies including CBI, Enforcement Directorate, Income Tax, Directorate General of Goods and Services Tax Intelligence have been asked to regularly update the portal from their nationwide offices.
- In addition to central agencies, the economic offences wing of state police and other agencies will also have to participate in the NEOR.
- The individual database of these agencies will be automatically incorporated into the NEOR through specific software application.
What is the present mechanism?
- Currently,the Central Economic Intelligence Bureau (CEIB) runs a captive database called Secured Information Exchange Network(SIEN).
- The SEIN operates on intranet (not available online) and information on economic offenders are shared with headquarters of 13 select central agencies.
About Central Economic Intelligence Bureau(CEIB):
- Central Economic Intelligence Bureau(CEIB) was setup in the year 1985 under Department of Revenue,Ministry of Finance.
- It is the nodal agency for economic intelligence mandated to ensure effective interaction and coordination among all the concerned agencies in the area of economic offences.
- It is headed by a Director General who carries the designation of Special Secretary to the Government of India.
About National Informatics Centre(NIC):
- The National Informatics Centre (NIC) is an institute set up by the Indian government in 1976 to drive its technology and e-governance initiatives in the country.
- The institute is part of the Indian Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology’s Department of Electronics & Information Technology.
- NIC has the mandate to set up, implement and support all the information technology led-programs of the central and state governments and other government organizations in India.