- United States Secretary of State has arrived in India for his interaction with the Indian Government.
- The two countries will discuss the US opposition to India’s $5 billion deal for acquiring S-400 missile system from Russia.
- The US wants India to cancel the deal citing a US Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act(CAATSA) that imposes sanctions on any country that has significant transactions with Iran,North Korea or Russia.
- A key issue expected to come up in the discussion is the US tension with Iran.While Indian oil companies have stopped imports to avoid sanctions, but India will discuss the alternative sources of oil.
- The two countries will also interact on the deadlock over a trade deal and the U.S. withdrawal of India’s GSP(Generalized System of Preferences) status.
- Further,there will also be a talk on the H-1B issue where Secretary of State may assure India that the US has no plans to impose a cap on issuing the H-1B visas on countries that are forcing foreign companies to store data locally.
- The discussions will also happen on US demand that India must not allow Chinese telecom major Huawei to participate in 5G network trials.
- India is likely to tell US that the Indian government will balance the national security implications of the Chinese company with the demands of the local telecommunications market before deciding on 5G trials.
6 min read